The search for the perfect Summer dress

Spring is in the air. Spring break- or broke depending on your wallet- already started. People are getting wild with their clothing, wearing short shorts and tank tops all over the city, and preparing to hit Galveston beach despite Hurricane Ike damages.
Spring has a different meaning for me. It means that I need to put away my winter clothes and update my wardrobe. And the best way to start updating it is to look for the perfect Summer dress.
Growing up as a tomboy, I never had a serious interest in dresses. Sure when I was a child, I wanted a princess dress but that obsession disappeared when I hit puberty. By then, my body was going through so many changes that I wanted to hide my newly found curves instead of flaunting them. I used to wear baggy jeans and baggy shirts all the time. My annoyed mothers made sure that I still own several dresses for special occasions like my Christian cousins first communions. But I was still not into them.
My obsession with dresses started a couple of years ago. One day, I woke up and realized that my closet was full of jeans and pants. I did not have a single dress to my name, except a velvety gown that one of my elders gave me. It was a beautiful gown but I never had the chance to wear it, because it was only for special occasions. Back in those days, I was still in college, using my bicycle to commute. Therefore, it was hard-even though not impossible- to bike around in a floor length skirt or dress.
Now that I was in a new university that did not require me to bike around, I thought I could get used to wearing dresses and skirts. So I started my quest for the perfect dress. I was not very picky back then. I just needed something floral, or colorful enough. The material did not matter. I just wanted it to fit me properly. Therefore, I bought myself several dresses in different materials and shapes. And two years later, I only wore one. The rest of them keep being exposed in my closet.

The reasons why they kept being exposed in my closet and not on myself were the following:
- first of all, they were sleeveless dresses. I do not have anything against sleeveless dresses. But being conscious of my body, I do not like to walk around exposing the girls to the entire world. Therefore, I found that I needed something to cover the upper part of the dress with, which I did not have at the time.
- second, the material was not very suitable for hot weathers. I bought some dresses in polyester which tends to attract heat.
-third, some of them were to dressy to be worn casually. Moreover I did not have any important event to showcase them.

That is why, I decided that I needed to put more focus into my search for the perfect summer dress. And maybe that is why I still have not found it yet. I want something floral, in bold prints, or bold geometric. I need the dress to be empire waist so that I can hide my love handles. I would also prefer for the skirt of the dress to be full and floor length. On top of that, the fabric needs to be in cotton and machine washable. Finally, some sleeves would not kill, but I can leave without them since I found the perfect cover up.

Since the beginning of this month, I went looking for that really perfect Summer dress in all my fave places (Ross, Wetseal, Old Navy, Tj Maxx, Marshalls, Forever 21).

I found these at Wetseal.com

A tie dye maxi dress in cotton for $29.50


and a floral dress in polyester and spandex for $32.50


Unfortunately I have not found exactly what I was looking for because either it did not fit me properly or it did fit but the price was too much for my wallet. After all, we are in recession. I did settle for a cotton black and white floral sleeveless floor length dress because it was almost near to my expectations. It cost me just about $17 and it is still sitting in my closet. I will have to wear it eventually on a sunny day for a walk at Herman Park or Galveston beach, who knows. I have not taken the tag out yet. I am still hoping to find my dream dress someday, then I would probably return the black and white dress.

Here are some looks that I love even though the price or fit may not be for me.

Find me on Polyvore

Comments

Popular Posts