Shoe Obsession: Gladiator Heels



It has been a long time, I have not talked about shoes. I still do have an obsession for shoes, but I just do not have the money to indulge myself lately. Therefore, I did not give myself the opportunity to look into shoes I may want for this spring, summer. (I also have to add that there are plenty of shoes that have yet to be worn locked up in my closet so....)

However, recently, my attention has been centered on interesting pair of shoes: the Gladiator heels.

What are gladiator heels? Well, there are just gladiator sandals with heels, often a wedge or sexy high heel. And what are gladiator sandals? Have you ever watch movies highlighting the Roman Empire or the life of Jesus? If so, the shoes that those people were wearing are called Gladiator sandals or Jesus sandals. They entered or re-entered (as nothing is ever new in fashion) the fashion scene barely two years ago with all stars from the Olsen Twins to Sarah Jessica Parker wearing them.

Sarah Jessica Parker on the set of Sex and the city Movie wearing Dior heels
and Rihanna wearing Balenciaga heels for an MTV appearance.




Last summer, I succumbed to the trend and bought myself some Dollhouse lizard metallic gladiator sandals for merely $13. I wore them several times with blouses and tights, and dresses. I loved them but I got to admit they were difficult to wear. Whenever I wanted to wear them, I had to bend over and strap them on. Understand that as a woman who lived many years in Japan, I do not wear shoes inside my house. In fact, shoes are the last thing I wear before going out the door and the the first thing I take off when I come home. That is why, I like to slip on easy to wear shoes like ballet flats and be on my way out of the door. Now, I rarely wear the gladiator sandals anymore.

Nevertheless, I have been noticing gladiator heels all over the place recently. Of course, being a fashion junkie and gossip lover I tend to look at stars and what they wear. And it seems like everyone is sporting a pair of gladiator heels. Halle Berry made Jay Leno smell her bronze leather gladiator heels; (picture below)



Rihanna sported her Louboutin cream heels on a trip to Hawaii. And in almost all the places I like to shop, they have gladiator heels.

I am not big on trend. I like to wear what I like to wear. I was never into the Gladiator heels because I cannot possibly walk in 6 inch heels. Plus I do not have the lifestyle that goes with wearing such shoes. However, I am starting to reconsider. These shoes are cute, edgy and perfect for a night out on the town with my girlfriends (if ever that happens). I do not intend to dance while wearing them, just make people appreciate them on my feet. I think that they can add a certain sexiness to an outfit. And let us face it, with me covering up all the time, I need something that make me feel sexy (not that I want to be sexy for the guys. Never! After all I am a married woman. I just want to feel sexy and edgy inside. It has the same feeling as wearing sexy underwear.)

Therefore, I decided that my next shoe purchase is going to be a gladiator heel. I already spotted some in suede and fringe at a discount store.

Not the same pair but close enough: Dollhouse Tadita Fringe Suede Platform
$39.95 available at DSW.com





I will try them on first and If I can walk 5 steps, I will get them. And the next step, will be to find an occasion to strap them on. Oh, GOD give me something......

Very Edgy Gladiator Heels

Satin Print patent shield available at gojane.com for $23.10

PS: Come to think of it, I already own a pair of very simple yet gladiator heels. They are black and about 5 inch high. One of my closest friend bought them as a souvenir from her trip to NYC, 4 years ago. I wore them only twice, for my graduation ceremony and at a Craig David's concert and boy, were they hot looking (and difficult to walk with)....They look like this pair of Roger Vivier heels, Charlize Theron wore at the MTV Movie Award. (picture below)



The only difference is that mine does not have the rhinestone buckles and they have just one strap instead of 2 at the ankle. (and I am sure they cost way less than the $3500 heels)

Comments

Popular Posts