On my radar : Off shoulders

Hello readers!

Today I want to chat about the latest fashion trend that is inspiring me: Off Shoulders. Truth be told, I had second thoughts about blogging on a trend I am not likely to enjoy publicly. As you know by now, I dress modesty for religious reasons. Therefore I am not about to expose my shoulders on this blog or in the real world. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realize that it should not stop me for blogging about what I like. For one thing,  most of my readers do not cover up like I do, and they might enjoy learning about this new trend. Furthermore, just because I may not wear the trend in public does not mean that I will not indulge in it in private. So today I give you my latest obsession: Off shoulders (anything)

The trend will be big for Spring Summer this year. It had already been featured on the runway and on some fashion bloggers. What I like about it is that it is a trend that anyone can enjoy no matter your size. Shoulders are not something even body conscious women like me, tend to hide.  They are easier to flaunt than some other body parts ( thighs and butt for example). Moreover showing a bit of shoulder can also be very sexy not to mention refreshing when it is super hot.

I am not going to lie, I did own some off shoulder tops in the past. It was a big trend in my country growing up and it is still making its way back in the ethnic wear department.

There are different ways to try the trend and I will show you my favorites below:

Peek a boo:



Zara.com

This style will let you show just a bit of shoulder skin if you are the shy type. Usually they come with simple blouses or dresses with round cuts on the sleeves. They are still sexy but demure at the same time.


Low boat-neck:

This is also for the people who are not quite sure about flaunting it all. The boat-neck style will help you flaunt your collarbone without going too deep into the shoulders. For this type it is best to stick to dresses or tops in stretch fabric which will make it easier to pull it down lower and hold it in place.


HM.com

Two ways:

I would also recommend investing in a top ( or dress) that has drawstrings or elastic shearing in it. That way you can wear it properly or lower it when you want to try the trend. You can adjust the string to show one shoulder or both, as you like. Whatever you decide to do, you will have different tops ( or dresses) for the price of  one which is what I call a very good deal.

Down low:

These are for the dare it all type of woman. The top sits very low on the body, almost on top of the breasts and the sleeves look like they are unattached to the top. I really like this style but you have to be extra confident to pull it off. No to mention that the bra you will wear it with need to be extra special and supportive.


Mango.com

With fun sleeves:

There is something very dramatic about bell or bubble sleeves. They will upgrade your fashion game as they are but paired with an off shoulders, there are just too fabulous and fun.


us.asos.com


Final points:

The cut of the item already makes it a focal point so you need to keep the rest of the outfit simple. Choose items in airy fabrics like cotton or raw silk. I am drawn to colors like white, beige, or pastel blue but you can go for prints such as stripes or check. African or tribal prints can also work provided that you keep the rest of the ensemble low key. If you go for a top that has a flowy or layered hem, pair it with a high waisted jeans or pencil skirts. If you try off shoulder dress pair it with gladiator sandals if it is short or espadrilles if it's long for a bohemian easy breezy look. As for accessories, either go for long drop earrings to let your neck shine or add some pizzazz with a fancy choker. Do not forget to moisturize you neck and back for a smooth and glowing effect. A bronzer would be also helpful.

There you have, all you need to know to start rocking the trend. I am thinking of Diy mine, and I will hopefully blog about that too later. Watch this space!



This is how my Gambian sisters rock the trend, in ethnic wear from Phuzion boutique


If there is one person who is obsessed with off shoulders, it is Geneva
She even DIY hers!


This off shoulder dress of Kela is giving me major vibes. And when she layers it with the jacket, it is oh so modest. 



Chastity shows that anyone can rock the trend with panache. 



Saily in a tie dye dream of a top

Comments

Popular Posts